Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Collectors Instinct: Building a collection


Today I listed a piece of furniture I have held in my personal collection since 2002 that I swore I'd NEVER sell! Why? Because like most good collectors I found something far rarer that I just had to have. In this case a very rare complete parlor set in a style I have been trying to find for over 10 years.


I listed this aesthetic chair, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160222513725&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=006 , that I acquired on the way back from a trip to New Orleans in 2002. I fell for it, bought it on the spot and swore I'd never sell it. And now I am.


I always tell people when I lecture on antique collecting that collecting doesn't mean "hoarding" . You have to set goals when collecting and determine what your ultimate goals are and what you may buy along the way to get there. Some people collect "junk" I collect antiques. I have studied the styles I like and my personal goal is to acquire only the best( In my price range). I dont buy "just" because its a 100 years old, I have learned to look at what I am buying. I also have determined how it fits into my collecting and what it will take to"replace" a particular piece.

This week I found it, so while I am sad to let this piece go I know that the collector who buys it will appreciate it as I did.

No comments: