With just some minor trim and detail to do on the bump out I have proceeded to the porch. The reason being that much of the fine detail trim on the columns will also be used on the bumpout and it is far easier to cut all the "finework" at one time as I will be using a band saw and some special woodworking tools. That are best done in the confines of my workshop and site installed later.
Columns: There are many option on porch columns and the type you choose depends on the style of your home. Now you can go to the local "home improvement store" and now buy what are called "Victorian Porch Columns". This is an option that was not available a few years ago as the ONLY columns you could find was the round "colonial column" that has been used in remodels for years..
Now the replacement columns from a home improvement store aren't really an option. The "scale' isn't right for our house and they are designed to mimic a much later era 1885 and later. Our house built in 1871 would have had a much different style of column that would have been in the Italianate style, typically a square column with possible chamferred edges with a "boxed base" with a panel. The earlier porches also has a much lower railing typically 22-28 inches high. Current code calls for a higher railing so there will be challenge to create something that will look appropriate.
For our project we started with a square 4x4 post. We chamferred the outside edge. Now in a larger column we would have done all sides but we decided since this is a smaller porch just the outside corners made sense as the columns might have appear to be too 'frail' if we chamferred all 4 sides. We began the cut at 36 inches from the base and ended018 inches from the "top". A note. The columns were attached to a slightly raised footer column that extended through the porch deck surface. These were re cut and leveled about 4 inches above the porch height. We uses a metal post base that attached the new post to the base post and we also used hurricane straps on the other two sides. This completely "locks" the porch post to the base. Once the posts were in position we then wrapped the lower columns in a 24 inch high primed pine material which was then trimmed with another layer of pine trim to create the "panels" of the post.
Once the post were set in position and leveled again we made the top Roof rail assembly which the roof will tie to. The stringers were attached to the house with metal brackets and a screw bolt was put through the post from the inside of the house with a large flange washer in between. The top of the posts were cut back to accept the top rails and a "L' bracket (not seen) was on top where the two pieces joined the post and these were also screwed through. These top stringers will be eventually covered with finish grade Poplar boards.
The brackets at the top area a simple arched bracket rather than a more "frilly" Late Victorian bracket.
Plans are that the roof will be mansard in shape and the interior "tray" will be lined with beaded board. A hanging light will be at the top which will throw additional light through the transom as well as illuminate teh porch area
We also managed to get in additional yard cleanup including mulching the sidewalk right of way planting beds and next week we will begin landscaping those areas at the front of the lot.
NEXT TIME: Porch roof and trim work