Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Knox Hill Project: weekly update

Saturday was rainy so we concentrated our efforts on inside work AND the photographer from the Enquirer was around for a few hours, taking photos for the piece that was out yesterday so we were not as productive as I would have liked. I have started work on the porch gable panels which have a cut out design similar to the front porch railing. I will cover that in detail in a post sometime this week for you "project types".
Greg continued with the 'deconstruction' of the closets upstairs. Deconstruction is perhaps the best term for this as we are trying to save adjacent original plaster work where ever possible. It takes longer that just swinging with a sledge hammer, but the time expended in careful deconstruction is saved back by not having extensive plaster repairs to do. We are, of course, saving the old dimensional 2x4's for reuse where possible.
My big project was of course the porch. A common mistake most people make when building a porch roof is they do not properly vent it. Since you have beaded board on one side of the framework and a roof on the other there is no "attic space" but there is the framing space. If this area is not properly vented you can have excessive moisture buildup and it will deteriorate the wood from the inside out causing rot. So I built this "hidden soffit vent " in the front to allow air flow. Basically the board is spaced about 1/2 inch to allow air to flow, but it will blend in visually. Now you do not want an opening like that for insects to make a home so I do two things. I spray the underside of the roof with a termite spray AND, most importantly I screen the vented area with screen wire which will prevent insects from entering this space.

The beaded board used for the underside was recycled from the old enclosed stairway area. It was in sound condition and painted on both sides with a good coat of paint so it was in good condition( although a ugly gray blue which would not have worked with our historic pallet so a few coats of "Ortize Gold" was applied.



This is strong color but perfect for the underside of a small porch as it will reflect light and since this porch will also have flower boxes and hanging baskets filled with colorful flowers its will have that weekend cottage feel.

2 comments:

Todd McFarland said...

I like porch ceilings to be sky blue or varnished. But it's great that you could give the beadboard a new life.

Paul Wilham said...

I often use sky blue for ceilings. It really depends on eth color pallete you are working with. IN this case we have ( believe it or not) 9 colors in the paint job. In some cases hue changes depending on placement. Introduction of the blue ( a primary color, even though it would be pasteled down) would probably conflict too much with the other colors.

Normally I wouldnt use this strong a color under porch but with a cottage you have more leeway. It is interstinging to note when i did color sampling and paint anaylisis, the original color of the house was sunflower yellow, with green, wine red, ochre and tan accents.

The victorian used alot of color back than, especially on smaller homes. The "white house" appeared late in the victorian era as a reaction to the white exposition at the Chicago exposition.

Its amazing to see the lengths the victorian used to 'be noticed"