|Imagine how grand this mansion was when new and one arrived by carriage?|
Built at 1413 Freeman now would be 1413 Western after the freeway cut through the West end is the site where the Magrue Mansion once stood.. The Joseph Magrue mansion was built circa 1865 and was perhaps the grandest mansion in the West End with its elaborate cast iron front porch and "laced balcony", it rivaled the homes on Dayton Street.
|Incredible plaster detailing in the frieze area indicates this home was a cut above the rest By the time these photos were taken the house has already been vandalized|
The interior was just as grand with arched doorways and elaborate crests at the top similar in design to those found on the Gazlay House on Dayton St. The home had a grand entry with elaborate wood dado and grand crown mouldings. Many rooms had parquet floors. Rooms featured interior shutters that "disappeared" into the trim detail when folded back like the Hatch and Gazlay Mansions.
|The elaborate wood trim and dado was likely walnut|
The Magrue mansion was 38'6" wide and 74'6" deep. At three full stories, the house has over 8400 square feet not including the full basement which likely housed servants quarters. At today's construction costs, it would cost upwards of 7-8 Million dollars to duplicate this home, IF you could find craftsmen capable of recreating the historic detailing..
|One of five elaborate bayed windows|
Not much is known about Magrue, records show that the house was deeded to the Catholic church in 1884 by presumably an heir. The home changed hands again when it was deeded to the US Government in 1970. This magnificent home, perhaps one of the grandest homes downtown, was demolished in 1981 closing a chapter on one of the finest "Gilded Age" Mansions in the city.
|The amount of detail and woodwork in this house was amazing.|
Photos courtesy Library of Congress