Friday, May 13, 2011

Gardening: Being more 'green' without the green lawn

Low maintenance has become a big plus in a busy world.
Long before it became popular or "green' I have always been a proponent of "no lawn" gardening. Now for me this was quite logical. I am allergic to cut grass and it was great as kid because I didn't get stuck with mowing my family's suburban lawn.

By using plants with different variation of green you can establish interest even when they are not blooming
A grass lawn is quite frankly a water waster, it also takes an incredible amount of time to maintain and I have friends who have to arrange their weekends around lawn work. In an Urban environment, lawns do not make sense.

This pond viewed from the walkway to the front door serves a dual purpose. "White Noise" always important in an urban environment and it is tied to the stone wall drainage to handle overflow and provide drip irrigation to the lower garden.
Our Indy project was good example of how spending some time up front, doing a little planning will, in the long run, actually result in lower maintenance cost and more free time. By using minimal maintenance plants, making sure a good quality weed stop is put down My "lawn work' is maybe 10 minutes pulling an errant weed.

Heirloom plants are always a great choice for an old home. Once established they can be divided and used to populate other areas of the garden
Of course I have to apply these same principals to our Cincinnati home which has a much larger lot and more grade changes to deal with. That of course means more terracing more patio and walkways and greater planning of water runoff controls, drip irrigation etc. But in the end I will be able top have more free time to actually enjoy my yard rather than the chore of continually maintaining it

No comments: